The Freedom Project is about self-reliance in a world where everything is done for you. It is about lessening my impact on the earth’s resources, feeling connected to the sources of my food and the products and services I use, and supporting the community in which I live. It is all about living every day in a harmonious relationship with my life’s purpose, which I think encompasses the goals of this project.
This is a not a new project. This is an initiative born out of long-held ideals and a way of life I have been working towards for some time. The Freedom Project is a focused attempt to find a kind of personal freedom through my own resourcefulness. TFP website is an expression of my individual quest to live simply and feel whole in this illogical, chaotic modern society.
Here, I hope to share my goals with you and I hope to reflect on the challenges I encounter in my daily attempts to live freely. I am most-certainly-without-a-doubt an Idealist, but I live in the same world you do. I pay rent and bills; I live in a city; I am unsure about my life’s path; and I spend more time in the past and future than the present. These things, I am starting to change. But, as they say in the RW*, some of my long-term goals “may be beyond the scope of this project.”
Most of all, I want to share my successes with you, and I am confident that there will be many, because there already have been. Every time I buy local produce from a farmer, reuse or recycle “garbage,” connect with my community or collaborate with friends, I am participating in this project. One small step for the project means one giant leap towards the life I envision.
Some of my goals include:
- Minimizing waste as much as possible, by reducing, reusing and recycling
- Growing my own food – starting a year-round vegetable garden
- Consuming food that is as local, organic and whole as possible
- Creating, recreating and sharing useful and beautiful things
- Doing paid work that satisfies me, preferably part-time and from home
- Supporting and promoting LOCAL products, services, organizations, etc.
- Collaborating and communicating with friends, family and community on initiatives related to TFP
Anyone can participate in this project. Our society still allows us a few freedoms, and these are the doors and windows to a larger freedom. Find an entry point. Start your own FP. I’ll keep you company.
I promise to share with you the resources that I find inspiring and useful. Please share your own by leaving a comment on the blog or writing me at email@example.com.
* Real World, a.k.a. RW, was dubbed so by my mother, who lives more-or-less self-sufficiently in a very small island community on the East Coast of Canada. From her home, situated just meters from the ocean, she literally loses sight of RW on foggy days.